Hey, everyone! It’s time for the second Music Monday here on My Funshine.
This week, I’m sharing some great covers of true classics. I am pretty weary when listening to covers, because it is so easy to get it wrong. To disrespect artists and all that. Well, the below songs are really great. Give them a listen, and let me know what you think!
- Ingrid Michaelson – Can’t Help Falling in LoveWhen I was young, my block’s annual block party was spent singing karaoke in the middle of our street… in the rain. It was pouring, so the men made a makeshift “tent” by tying together all the tarps they could find and attaching them to the tall trees. We spent the night huddled in the tent, singing & dancing. (My neighbor and I performed choreography to Barbie Girl, which we had created specifically for that night. Thank GOD cameras were not as accessible then as they are today.)Late into the evening, my dad approached the microphone. He sang this song to my mom. For that reason, I’ll always love this song. And, Ingrid did an amazing job with this cover.
- She & Him – I’ll Never Be FreeZooey was born to cover ’50s music. This album is killer. Is it obvious that I’m obsessed? (See: Last week’s Music Monday.)
- The Lennings – You’re the One That I WantEndlessly confused about this video. It was posted by the band and literally just features someone making tea. Buuuut, the song itself is stellar. Very chill, very cool – good vibes. Just a cool indie band from Austin, TX and I think they’re great.
- John Mayer – I Don’t Need No DoctorOh come on, you guys didn’t think I could ignore John, did you?This has such a good beat. I dare you to listen to it without bobbing your head or dancing a bit. It’s impossible! This is way too fun. So groovy. Very good tribute to Ray Charles.
- Sara Bareilles – Sittin’ on the Dock of the BayMy favorite. Sara never disappoints.I had actually never heard this version of her cover. Look at us, discovering new music together! I love that this version really pushes her voice. Shows it off, you know?