I think it’s about time for me to create a “Music Monday” tradition. I’m a big fan of just about every genre, so I’m hoping to include a little something for everyone in this series. I’ll feature a specific genre for each post to create a bit of cohesiveness.
This week, I’ll be featuring Coffeeshop Indie, something that I’ve really been loving recently. I like to pretend that I’m a super cool twenty-something, sitting in a small hipster coffee shop where I’m a regular, but my orders are unpredictable because I always feel the need to try something new. I know, oddly specific thought process to associate with a genre of music. Just go with it.
Disclaimer: I’m not a professional music critic, so please don’t expect these posts to be super intelligent or profound. I’m just a girl who really, really loves quality music. (That said, please send along suggestions! I’m always looking for new music. Always.)
Shameless plug: Subscribe to my Spotify playlist, “Somebody Left the Gate Open,” for tons of tunes like these!
So, let’s dive in!
- Hey Marseilles – Heart Beats (Acoustic Roots – Live)UGH I just discovered this tune, and cannot believe that I didn’t know about it earlier. The layering is perfect – I love how the percussion, bass clarinet, strings and vocals blend and build on each other. I’m sitting here listening to it (on repeat – no shame) and picking up new details each time. I’m soaking it in like a sponge.The original version of the song is amazing, too. The drums hit like a brick wall and I absolutely love it. But you guys KNOW that I had to include the acoustic version, right?Probably most importantly, listen to the lyrics. I can’t even include my favorites because I can’t narrow it down. Just listen.
- LIGHTS – Banner (Acoustic)This band, I should note, has an entire acoustic album on Spotify. That fact, in itself, is enough for me to obsess over them. So, this (acoustic) song – which I discovered on Spotify’s “Your Favorite Coffeehouse” radio station – is is calming and sweet. The lead singer’s voice is pure and captivating. I’m expecting to find myself really addicted to this band.
- She & Him – Time After TimeI’m in love with all versions of this song, so when I saw that She & Him covered it, I was thrilled! I think the root of my obsession is the fact that it was featured in one of my favorite movies, Julie & Julia.Anyway, this cover is no disappointment. The jazzy beat, Zooey’s old-fashioned vibrato – it all just works. (This entire album is worth a listen, by the way!)
- Sara Bareilles & Ingrid Michaelson – Winter SongI know what you’re thinking. A duet featuring Sara AND Ingrid?! How could it get any better??I have to say, friend, I wholeheartedly agree. It could not get better. This song is cozy and warm, heartfelt and genuine. Classic Sara and Ingrid. The harmonies are gorgeous and the beat flows so well – bringing you up and down with the push and pull of the song.Even the lyrics are amazing. “I still believe in summer days / The seasons always change / and life will find a way. / I’ll be your harvester of light / and send it out tonight / so we can start again.”
- Ivan & Alyosha – I Was Born to Love HerAhhh, Ivan & Alyosha. Obsessed with them for about a year now, I have yet to find a song that I don’t love. I can’t get enough of their beautiful harmonies and layering, always totally on point. When I watch videos of the band performing live, I just want to be friends with all of them. So, friends and followers, if anyone can make this happen… I wouldn’t be against it.This track has harmonies and lyrics that are enough to make me completely swoon.Do yourselves a favor and listen through all of their albums. You won’t regret it.